CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where I was...



On this day 10 years ago, it started like most others. I got up, got ready, and went to school. I was a senior in high school and had my whole, unknown life, ahead of me. My first period class was Mrs.Sherrod's government class. We were taking a quiz that day and were almost finished when our principle came on the loud speaker and told everyone that there was an apparent attack on the U.S. and for the teachers to turn on their T.V.'s in the rooms so we could see what was going on. As a senior in high school, you can't fully comprehend the extensive toll this would take on our Country, but we knew this was serious. We sat and watched the 1st tower smoking and saw on live T.V. when the 2nd tower was hit with another plane. I then started to think to myself of all of the things that could go wrong from this. All of the lives lost and those that will be effected by this attack. I was so worried that something would happen to us and felt a need to call my Mom. We couldn't call and that was before everyone had cell phones. I sort of felt alone and even at that age wanted my parent with me. I also worried about my Dad who worked at an oil plant because they are sometimes thought to be targets to terrorist attacks.

As the morning went on we got to watch T.V. in each class. We would change classes and talk about what was going on and then watch the news coverage. For most of the students, this was a break from the everyday schedule that we were all used to. Others took it differently due to family members either being in NY or one of the other effected areas, or that their family member is in the military and feared that they would be deployed. I had no one that I knew that was directly effected by all of this, but was very worried for my own safety. When I was younger I really didn't like history. I was learning about things that I wasn't around to see and really didn't care too much to learn about, immature I know. It was my least favorite subject, but when something like this happens it really makes you stop and re-ascess your feeling on our U.S. History. Being married to a History teacher has really changed me now. I find myself wanting to know more and more about history and am constantly asking Wayne questions. He, to me, knows everything and that is so amazing to me! I LOVE HIM!

This attack on our country has effected so much and as the years have gone by has changed more than we could have ever predicted. The loss of life isn't comprehendable to me but saddens me so deeply. Today, 10 years later, I sit with my husband and two children and watch children and family members read the names of lives lost and tears are streaming down my face. My life has changed so much in 10 years and to see children that were babies when this happened are now 10 years older and to think that their family member or parent has missed them growing up is numbing. Those children are so brave and are amazing to me. I pray for them a lot. I also pray that something of this magnitude will never happen to our country again! I will never forget where I was when this happened and the U.S. will never forget 9/11 and the lives that were lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment