CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 27, 2011

The power of a Song

I think the first time I realized the true power of a song to provoke emotion was when I was about 4 months pregnant with Edison and I was driving home from the grocery store. I was listening to the radio, as usual, and a song came on about death of a young girl.. I can't remember the name.. but I had heard it several times with out really listening. I started to listen to the words and then think about my own child and just putting myself into that song... the tears started flowing. Not just crying, full blown boo hooo'ing while driving down the road.. Mascara was everywhere. I, to this day, will not listen to that song. If it comes on, I always change it. Another example of this was about 4 months ago Eden and I were driving home from somewhere rather late at night and a Rascal Flatts song came on "I wont let go" and I was singing away.. I LOVE that song and I hear Eden in the back start crying. I turned the song down and asked her what was wrong and she told me that that song made her feel sad. I asked why and she said because of the words and it made me think about you Mommy.. OHH MY.. I started crying. That touched me that she felt what I felt when I heard that song and she understood her feelings. It was really touching to me. Well, today I was driving to work, fresh face of make-up... very halloween themed I might add due to my pumpkin shirt I was wearing... and a Carrie Underwood song, "Temporary Home" came on. I had again, heard that song tons of times and just sang my heart out with not physically evoking emotion... until today. I started singing and started to think of the words of the song and how it was so very true. This is our temporary home and if I can make it through this life thinking that way and knowing what I can do to serve my God, that everything will be ok. And here they came... TEAR CITY! I often cry when singing songs about my God... frankly.. I often cry a lot for lots of reasons but hey.. thats me! :) But after crying for a good two minutes singing this song.. i just couldn't stop singing of listening.. I realized the person next to me at the MLK red light was staring at me. HA, oh well.. what could I do? I drove on and looking into my mirror... A HOT MESS! And I again start to think really let those words go to my heart and I felt myself getting emotional again and had to stop. I just realized that you really know that you have a wonderful song when it can do that to you. When it can make you put yourself into the song and think of you in those words. Or is can make you cry or smile or laugh at its words. Music is powerful, even to my 8 year old! :)
BTW, I repaired my makeup and no one even knew I cried at work.. whew! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment